Sunday, November 20, 2005

what the snow does to you :P

10 to 10 on Nov 17

An old friend arrives,
So familiar that the door does not bar
Treading lightly, as he may sometimes do--
but I remember when with clamour and commotion did he make his way in, barging and intrusive, foiling my plans.
Turning my house upside down, lampshade and curtains caught in his fury.
GUSTO was such an understatement.
yet GUSTO is what we expected
But this time, this year/season, perhaps faint or weary from your travels from yesteryear...
light
faint
subtle
smudgin my glass-pane in that timid way that you can
You can, and you will,
quiet and lamb-like. This will only last the day. But the precursor of your stronger self,
Stamps my driveway and warns me most:
You are here to stay, and I'd better make room.


i wrote this at Bata on Nov 17 when i looked out the window and noticed the first snowfall of the year. initially i didn't see it b/c the flakes were so small and faint, and it made me remember all the other first snowfalls i've seen. the personification (i know--AGAIN) in my poem is of winter itself, and how his entrance can be fantastic and showy, or "quiet and lamb-like" such as the 17th.
i'm not sure i like how the last stanza turned out--the first-person "I" seems to be a big contrast w/ the rest of the poem (even though i've been using "me" throughout), and i'm not sure if i like how that reads.

and i think i need to start writing about things that aren't always about nature :P i started a small series about punctuation, but i'll put that on later on. i'm more confident about this one :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home