Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Britannica

it’s the encyclopedia!

eee-en-see-why-see-ello-pee-ee-dee-aye-ay

Ian see why see.

hello? p. e. d. eye. a.

die. eh.


crowded kitchen, on my stomach

legs in the air, just after the wake

supper on the stove, rosaries said.

page ex. eye. vee.

volume one for P.

six years old and jiminy cricket sings


‘Ian see, why see’

why see?





---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been stewing over this poem for a week. It refers to a very old Wonderful World of Disney song that used to be on a phonograph at a neighbours house in Lakefield. I have memories of laying on my stomach flipping through her copies of the Encyclopedia Britannica after a funeral, with little comprehension as to what was going on around me.

I tried to play on that idea with the sounds in the poem. The use of phonetic spellings and the focus on sound is intended to be childlike. In addition to that there's plays on words like 'die', 'see', 'eye' and 'why' that underscore the funeral idea with the confusion it holds for a kid. Anyway, it's a work in progress, but I like how it looks so far. Your input would be fantastic.

Meags

2 Comments:

Blogger darkangel said...

its interesting. You definitely captured the childlike aspect to it. I love how I had to read it aloud to be able to understand what it was saying. It has so much imagery, both visual and auditory, yet so simple. I like.

1:29 AM  
Blogger valerie salerie said...

ooh, this is a fun poem to read even more than it would be to hear, in my opinion.

at first i was confused by the page numbers, but it has to be read aloud (and i know i just contradicted myself) but that's the awesome thing about how you've written the page numbers!
the playful tone is really excellently complimented with reference to Jiminy Cricket.

i likey muchly too :)

11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home