Friday, February 24, 2006

Death III

Breathing is painful beneath the heavy-laden curtain
--air scarce, our lives were like cages.
The letters on stone always before me
We had to look away whenever he came out

Even the fading radiance is too blinding
I knew my eyes would be gouged out of their sockets
Pathetic, I am proven.
But I breathe, just the same.
The same, that's the problem

Something's in the scarlet
I never noticed the colour of the veil
when we wore it--an aged tiresome shade, like brick
(yet our hearts could not be eroded)

This is freedom? We deny the law of it.

Then something, like Su Duko and Caramilk
Glory_____Mercy_____Newness
Be
cause the hour of divine abandonment brings me home
Be
cause the old curtain is removed, and new linen I'm given
Be
cause the veil, our veil, is newly torn
I cannot wait to see my Bridegroom,
when scarlet means white
and with joy and victory I run

my Love, my Freedom, my
breathing now effortless
though I'm conscious of every inhalation
through the split in the curtain


technical and general comments welcomed, as always!

5 Comments:

Blogger shine.is.dead said...

Val,

I had to delete the link you posted for the oed because it screwed up the formatting of the blog.

(Also, there is already a link to the oed on the left)

3:33 PM  
Blogger valerie salerie said...

(val wears her disappointed face not so much b/c the oed link was deleted but because this is ANOTHER IRRELEVANT COMMENT from Noah)
grr!

10:40 PM  
Blogger shine.is.dead said...

now I feel hated.

I'm not really sure what thi poem is about... I can't really follow the story of it. Though I do like that you tend to write "narrative" poetry, its a style that I am normally not a fan of but I like your work.

Notably I still enjoy how you can mix words such as "caramilk" in poems that tend to not be colloquial.

As always I'm a fan of punctuation, and it disappeas half way through.

Do you still hate me...?

2:00 PM  
Blogger valerie salerie said...

the answer is:
Exodus 34: 29-35 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Exodus%2034:29-35;&version=31;) and
2 Cor 3:7-18 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2%20Cor%203:7-18;&version=31;)

i like punctuation too, but i find that i tend to use too much of it in my poems--b/c i love prose more? (oops was that out loud to the dPOETRYs)

6:40 PM  
Blogger valerie salerie said...

oh yah and i forgot this one:
Mark 15: 37-38 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Mark%2015:37-38;&version=31;)

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home